History of the College
Basirhat college, an institution with distinction, started its journey radiating the light of higher education on 16th November 1947. The institution stands on the bank of Ichhamoti, which flows by its ancient seat of learning and culture that witnessed the many souls of the soil rise to eminence.
In 1947, the institution was primarily housed at the Basirhat Town Hall and later on it was shifted to Late Khan Bahadur A.F.M Abdur Rahaman's residence at the heart of Basirhat Town. Later, Dr. Shyamaprasad Mukherjee, an eminent educationist and national leader of our country laid the foundation stone at the present location of the college.
The institution now functioning in three shifts - morning, day and evening, accommodating a huge number of students both boys and girls, coming from villages and towns like Taki, Hingalgunge, Jogeshgunj, Samsernagar, Katihat, Deganga, Haroa, Baduria, Berachampa etc to obtain their bachelor degree in Arts, Science and Commerce.